Active duty, military veterans, dependents, and reservists planning to use their VA education benefits, or any student with questions concerning veteran benefits, should contact Veterans Services.
Policy on students entitled to educational assistance under Chapter 31 or 33
San Francisco State University permits any covered individual to attend or participate in the course of education during the period beginning on the date on which the individual provides to the educational institution a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance under chapter 31 or 33 (a “certificate of eligibility” can also include a “Statement of Benefits” obtained from the Department of Veterans Affairs’ (VA) website e-Benefits, or a VAF 28-1905 form for chapter 31 authorization purposes) and ending on the earlier of the following dates:
- The date on which payment from VA is made to the institution.
- 90 days after the date the institution certified tuition and fees following the receipt of the certificate of eligibility.
San Francisco State University will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or the requirement that a covered individual borrow additional funds, on any covered individual because of the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement funding from VA under chapter 31 or 33.
In order to qualify under this policy, students must:
- Submit a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance to Veterans Services no later than the first day of the semester.
- Submit a written request to firstname.lastname@example.org to use such entitlement.
- Provide additional information necessary to the proper certification of enrollment.
- We may also require additional payment or impose a fee for the amount that is the difference between the amount of the student’s financial obligation and the amount of the VA education benefit disbursement.