Readmission & Special Sessions

Former students of the University must apply for readmission if they have been absent for two consecutive semesters (excluding winter and summer sessions). A student must be enrolled in at least one class through the end of the 20th day of instruction to be considered a continuing student. (See Planned Educational Leave of Absence for more information.) If a student has attended any other educational institution since previous attendance as a matriculated student at this University, transcripts for that academic work must be supplied at the time of readmission.

Undergraduate applications for readmission and all supporting materials must be filed in the Admissions Office in accordance with current requirements and procedures. Students on academic probation, who discontinued their official enrollment at the University for more than one semester, will be considered for readmission only upon presentation of evidence of having earned a C average in all coursework attempted at San Francisco State University. Grade point deficiencies incurred at San Francisco State may be removed only by coursework taken through Open University, winter session, or summer session at SF State.

Readmission information for graduate students can be found in the Graduate Studies section of this Bulletin.

Special Sessions

A limited number of degree, credential, and certificate programs are offered through special sessions. To be considered officially matriculated at SF State, special sessions students must be admitted to a specific degree, credential, or certificate program offered by an academic department via the College of Professional & Global Education (CPaGE) and then enroll through CPaGE in the courses for that specific program. Special sessions degree, credential, and certificate students have matriculated status.

The list of current and anticipated special sessions programs, grouped by category (degree, credential, and certificate) appears in the College of Professional & Global Education section of this Bulletin.

The following websites provide additional information: and