Minor in Queer and Trans Ethnic Studies
Program Learning Outcomes
- Identify the histories and identities of LGBTQ, Two-Spirit, and Gender Non-Conforming (GNC) people of color and indigenous people.
- Apply the concept of intersectionality to the analysis of gender-oppressed people of color and indigenous people, such as women of color, queers of color, Two-Spirit peoples, and transgender people of color.
- Interpret cultural production by and about QoC, and the ways it expresses agency of oppressed peoples and/or challenges social inequalities.
- Analyze social movements in the contestation of social hierarchies based on race, gender, sexuality.
- Analyze race, gender, and sexuality as co-constitutive identities and recognize both marked and unmarked categories of identity.
Minor in Queer and Trans Ethnic Studies – 12 units
A minimum of 6 upper-division units are required to complete the minor.
All coursework used to satisfy the requirements of the minor must be completed with a minimum grade point average of 2.0.
Core Requirements – 6 units
|Introduction to Ethnic Studies|
|Critical Thinking and the Ethnic Studies Experience|
|RRS/SXS 380||Queer and Trans Ethnic Studies||3|
Foundational Gender and Sexuality Studies – 3 units
|SXS/SOC 110||Sexuality in Society||3|
|SXS 300||Introduction to Human Sexuality||3|
|WGS 200||Introduction to Women and Gender Studies||3|
Gender and Sexuality in Communities of Color – 3 units
|AA S 584||Asian American Sexualities||3|
|AIS/WGS 420||Native Genders and Feminism||3|
|AIS/SXS/WGS 440||Native Sexualities and Queer Discourse||3|
|LTNS 350||Gender and Latina/x Feminisms||3|
|LTNS/WGS 445||Gendered Borders: Latinas and Globalization||3|
|LTNS/WGS 505||Gender, Sexuality, and Latino Communities||3|
|RRS 280||Disrupting Science Fiction: Race, Gender, and Alternative Futures||3|
|RRS 304||Decolonize Your Diet: Food Justice and Gendered Labor in Communities of Color||3|
|RRS/SXS 460/COUN 450||HIV and AIDS Impacts and Resistance Among Communities of Color||3|
|RRS 571||Women, Race, and Class||3|
|RRS 375||Queer Arabs in the U.S.||3|
|RRS 640||Race and Sexual Migration||3|