Bachelor of Arts in English: Concentration in Linguistics – ENGL Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) Roadmap
This is a sample pathway for students who transfer to San Francisco State University in the current Bulletin year with an AA-T in English. Six lower-division units in the major (ENG 218 and ENG 250) and all lower-division GE requirements have been satisfied. Additional units in the major may have been satisfied. Check with a major advisor about the most appropriate course sequence. Degree completion guaranteed in 60 units; see the Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) section for more information.
To Do at SF State:
Enough total units to reach 120 minimum for graduation; 30 units minimum at the upper-division level; to include the following:
University-Wide Requirements: 9-15 Units
- American Institutions (0–6 units): US History, US Government, California State and Local Government requirements if not taken before transfer.
- Upper-Division GE (9 units): Courses required for the major may double-count if approved for UD GE.
- Students entering this major with the AA-T in English are not required to fulfill SF State Studies requirements.
- Complementary Studies: Consult with a department advisor on how transfer units and SF State units can be applied to ensure degree completion within 60 units.
English (Linguistics) Major: 39 Units
Lower-Division requirements met in transfer; see department advisor regarding applying additional units from ADT, if any.
- Upper-Division Requirements (18 units)
- Concentration Requirements (21 units) - includes:
University Electives: 9 or More Units
Depends on course choices made at the community college, how transferred units are applied to the requirements above, and course choices at SF State. Some courses may meet more than one requirement, e.g., in both UD GE and the major.
|ENG 402||Introduction to Professional Writing and Rhetoric (Major Upper-Division Core)||3|
|ENG 420||Introduction to the Study of Language (Major Upper-Division Core, UD-C, GP)||3|
|ENG 480GW||Writing in English: GWAR Seminar (Major Upper-Division Core)||3|
or University Elective if US History met before transfer
|GE Area UD-B: Upper-Division Physical and/or Life Sciences||3|
|ENG 421||Syntax (Major Concentration)||3|
|ENG 424||Phonology and Morphology (Major Concentration)||3|
|ENG 583||Shakespeare: Representative Plays (Major Upper-Division Core)||3|
|U.S. and California Government||3|
or University Elective if US/CA Government met before transfer
|ENG 425||Language in Context (Major Concentration)||3|
|ENG 461||Literature in English Since 1800 (Major Upper-Division Core)||3|
|ENG 640||Global Texts and Practices (Major Upper-Division Core)||3|
|Concentration Elective (9 units) - Take One 1||3|
|ENG 422||History of the English Language (Major Capstone Experience)||3|
|Concentration Elective (9 units) - Take Two 1||6|
|GE Area UD-D: Upper-Division Social Sciences||3|
Electives (9 units)
Three courses selected with approval of an advisor.