Bachelor of Arts in Sociology – SOC Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) Roadmap
This is a sample pathway for students who transfer to San Francisco State University in the current Bulletin year with an AA-T in Sociology. Twelve units in the major and all lower-division GE requirements have been satisfied. Check with a major advisor about the most appropriate course sequence. Degree completion guaranteed in 60 units; see the Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) section for more information.
To Do at SF State:
Enough total units to reach 120 minimum for graduation; 30 units minimum at the upper-division level; to include the following:
University-Wide Requirements: 9-15 Units
- American Institutions (0-6 units): US History, US Government, California State and Local Government requirements if not met before transfer.
- Upper-Division GE, Areas B, C, and D (9 units): Upper-division GE (9 units): Courses required for the major may double-count if approved for UD GE.
- Students entering this major with the AA-T in Sociology are not required to fulfill SF State Studies requirements.
- Complementary Studies: Consult with a department advisor on how transfer units and/or SF State units can be applied to ensure degree completion within 60 units.
Sociology Major: 30-31 Units
- Core Courses (20 units)
- Capstone (3-4 units)
- Elective Courses: (7 units)
- 12 units from ADT may be applied to electives
University Electives: 13 or More Units
Depends on course choices made at the community college, how transferred units are applied to the requirements above, and course choices at SF State. Some courses may meet more than one requirement, e.g., in both UD GE and the major. Upper-division electives are recommended to meet the minimum 30-unit requirement.
|SOC 272||Social Inequality: Poverty, Wealth, and Privilege (Major Core)||4|
|Major Electives (7 Units Total) - Take One 1||3|
|GE Area UD-B: Upper-Division Physical and/or Life Sciences||3|
or University Elective if US History met before transfer
|SOC 300GW||Sociological Analysis - GWAR (Major Core)||4|
|SOC 483||Global Sociology (Major Core, UD-D, GP)||4|
|GE Area UD-C: Upper-Division Arts and/or Humanities||3|
|U.S. and California Government||3|
or University Elective if US/CA Government met before transfer
|Select One (Major Core):||4|
|Classical Theories of Society|
|Contemporary Theories of Society|
|SOC 392||Introduction to Research Methods (Major Core)||4|
|University Elective – Take Two||6|
|Major Capstone - Select One:||3-4|
|Quantitative Analysis of Social Data|
|Sociological Field Methods|
|Comparative Historical Methods and Postcolonial Critique|
|Internship: Applied Sociology
and Internship Seminar: Applied Sociology
|Major Electives (7 Units Total) - Take One 1||4|
|University Elective - Take Three||9|
19 units total, 12 units met in transfer.
Upper-division SOC courses or courses cross-listed with SOC not used to meet requirements above. Up to 9 units of lower-division sociology courses or courses cross-listed with SOC not used to meet requirements above.