Bachelor of Arts in Women and Gender Studies – SJS Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) Roadmap
This is a sample pathway for students who transfer to San Francisco State University in the current Bulletin year with an AA-T in Social Justice Studies. Up to 6 units in the major (Electives) and all lower-division GE requirements have been satisfied. Check with a major advisor about the most appropriate course sequence. Degree completion guaranteed in 60 units; see the Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) section for more information.
To Do at SF State:
Enough total units to reach 120 minimum for graduation; 30 units minimum at the upper-division level; to include the following:
University-Wide Requirements: 9-15 Units
- American Institutions (0–6 units): US History, US Government, California State and Local Government requirements if not taken before transfer.
- Upper-Division GE (9 units): Courses required for the major may double-count if approved for UD GE.
- Students entering the major with the AA-T in Social Justice Studies are not required to fulfill SF State Studies requirements.
- Complementary Studies: Consult with a department advisor on how transfer units and/or SF State units can be applied to ensure degree completion within 60 units.
Women and Gender Studies Major: 39 Units
Up to 6 units from the SJS ADT may be applied to the Elective Courses area.
- Core courses (12 units) – includes a GWAR-designated course.
- Elective courses (21-27 units) – consult with a department advisor about how to apply up to 6 units from the ADT. A maximum of 6 lower-division units can be applied to the major.
- A minimum of 33 units with WGS prefix are required (12 for Core, 21 for Electives).
University Electives: 6 or More Units
Depends on course choices made at the community college, how transferred units are applied to the requirements above, and course choices at SF State. Some courses may meet more than one requirement, e.g., in both UD GE and the major.
|Introductory Core Course 1||3|
|Major Elective - Take Two 2||6|
|GE Area UD-B: Upper-Division Physical and/or Life Sciences||3|
Or University Elective if US History met
|WGS 300GW||Gender, Race, and Nation - GWAR (Major Core)||3|
|Major Elective - Take Two 2||6|
|U.S. and California Government|
Or University Elective if US/CA Government met
|Applications of Women nad Gender Studies (Select One):||3|
|That's Not What I Said: Feminism, Oral History, and Research Methods in Women and Gender Studies|
|Feminist Praxis and the Non-Profit Industrial Complex|
|Major Elective – Take Two 2||6|
|GE Area UD-C: Upper-Division Arts and/or Humanities||3|
|WGS 690||Senior Seminar (Major Core)||3|
|Major Elective – Take Three 2,3||9|
|GE Area UD-D: Upper-Division Social Sciences||3|
Introductory Core Course (3 units)
Elective Courses (21-27 units)
Electives in Women and Gender Studies courses (a maximum of 6 elective units may be lower-division and 6 units can be taken outside the WGS department in other SF State departments or at other colleges/universities on issues, topics, or skills based upon academic interests and goals. Approval by a Women and Gender Studies advisor is mandatory.)
If fewer units needed for major, take University Elective instead.