Bachelor of Arts in Art History – ARTH Associate Degree for Transfer Roadmap
This is a sample pathway for students who transfer to San Francisco State University in the current Bulletin year with an AA-T in Art History. Nine units in the major (one lower division studio course, two lower division art history courses) and all lower division GE requirements have been satisfied. Check with a major advisor about the most appropriate course sequence. Degree completion guaranteed in 60 units; see the Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) section for more information.
|Upper-Division Art History Lecture – Select One from Group A 1||3|
or University Elective if US History met before transfer
|GE Area UD-B: Upper-Division Physical and/or Life Sciences||3|
|University Elective - Take Two||6|
|ARTH 400GW||Writing About Art - GWAR||3|
|Upper-Division Art History Lecture – Select One from Group B 1||3|
|Art History Elective: Select One 300–600 Level Art History Course||3|
|U.S. and California Government||3|
or University Elective if US/CA Government met before transfer
|ARTH 516||Advanced Topics in Art History (Major Upper-Division)||3|
|Upper-Division Art History Lecture – Select One from Group C 1||3|
|GE Area UD-C: Upper-Division Arts and/or Humanities||3|
|University Electives – Take Two||6|
|ARTH 602||Art History Seminar (Major Capstone)||3|
|Upper-Division Art History Lecture – Select One from Group A, B, or C 1||3|
|Internship/Visual Studies Elective 2||3|
|GE Area UD-D: Upper-Division Social Sciences||3|
Upper-Division 300–400 Level Art History Lectures (12 units)
Internship/Visual Studies Elective (3 units)
To Do at SF State:
Enough total units to reach 120 minimum for graduation; 40 units minimum at the upper-division level; to include the following:
University-Wide Requirements: 9–15 Units
- American Institutions (0–6 units): US History, US Government, California State and Local Government requirements if not taken before transfer
- Upper-Division GE, Areas B, C, and D (9 units): Courses required for the major may double-count if approved for UD GE.
- Students entering the major with the AA-T in Art History are not required to fulfill SF State Studies requirements.
- Complementary Studies: consult with a department advisor on how transfer units and/or SF State units can be applied to ensure degree completion within 60 units.
Art (Art History) Major: 30 Units
Lower-division requirements satisfied in transfer – six units of art history and three units of studio arts.
- Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (3 units): ARTH 400GW
- Upper Division Art History (12 units): 300–400 level, including at least one course from Groups A, B, and C.
- Advanced Topics in Art History (3 units)
- Elective (3 units): one additional 300–600 level art history course selected by student
- Internship/Visual Studies Elective (3 units)
- Capstone (3 units)
University Electives: 18 or More Units
Units depending on course choices made at the community college, how transferred units are applied to the requirements above, and course choices at SF State – some courses may meet more than one requirement, e.g. both in UD GE and the major.