Minor in Queer Ethnic Studies
Program Learning Outcomes
- Identify the histories and identities of LGBTQ, Two-Spirit, and Gender Non-Conforming (GNC) people of color and indigenous people.
- Apply the concept of intersectionality to the analysis of gender-oppressed people of color and indigenous people, such as women of color, queers of color, Two-Spirit peoples, and transgender people of color.
- Interpret cultural production by and about QoC, and the ways it expresses agency of oppressed peoples and/or challenges social inequalities.
- Analyze social movements in the contestation of social hierarchies based on race, gender, sexuality.
- Analyze race, gender, and sexuality as co-constitutive identities and recognize both marked and unmarked categories of identity.
Minor in Queer Ethnic Studies – 12 units
Core Requirements – 6 units
|ETHS/RRS 100||Introduction to Ethnic Studies||3|
|or ETHS/RRS 110||Critical Thinking and the Ethnic Studies Experience|
|RRS 380||Coloring Queer: Imagining Communities||3|
Note: A minimum of 6 upper-division units are required to complete the minor.
Foundational Gender and Sexuality Studies – 3 units
|WGS 200||Introduction to Women and Gender Studies||3|
|SXS 110||Sexuality in Society||3|
|SXS 300||Introduction to Human Sexuality||3|
|SXS 301||Perspectives in Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Studies||3|
Gender and Sexuality in Communities of Color – 3 units
|AA S 584||Asian American Sexualities||3|
|AIS/WGS 420||Native Genders and Feminism||3|
|AIS/SXS/WGS 440||Native Sexualities and Queer Discourse||3|
|LTNS 410||Seminar on Gender and Latinas/os||3|
|LTNS/WGS 445||Gendered Borders: Latinas and Globalization||3|
|LTNS/WGS 505||Gender, Sexuality, and Latino Communities||3|
|RRS 280||Race, Gender, and Science Fiction||3|
|RRS 304||Decolonize Your Diet: Food Justice and Gendered Labor in Communities of Color||3|
|RRS/SXS 460/COUN 450||AIDS and People of Color in the U.S.||3|
|RRS 571||Women, Class, and Race||3|