Bachelor of Arts in Sociology – SOC Associate Degree for Transfer Roadmap
This is a sample pathway for students who transfer to San Francisco State University in the current Bulletin year with an AA-T in Sociology. Twelve units in the major and all lower-division GE requirements have been satisfied. Check with a major advisor about the most appropriate course sequence. Degree completion guaranteed in 60 units; see the Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) section for more information.
|Major Elective Area I 1||3-4|
|Major Elective Area II 1||3-4|
|GE Area UD-B: Upper-Division Physical and/or Life Sciences||3|
or University Elective if US History met before transfer
|SOC 300GW||Sociological Analysis - GWAR (Major Core)||4|
|Major Upper-Division Elective - Take One 2||3-4|
|GE Area UD-C: Upper-Division Arts and/or Humanities||3|
|U.S. and California Government||3|
or University Elective if US/CA Government met before transfer
or SOC 371
|Classical Theories of Society (Major Core)
or Contemporary Theories of Society
|SOC 392||Introduction to Research Methods (Major Core)||4|
|University Elective – Take Two||6|
or SOC 394
|Quantitative Analysis of Social Data (Major Core)
or Sociological Field Methods
|Major Capstone - Select One:||3|
|Internship: Applied Sociology
and Internship Seminar: Applied Sociology
|Research Internship Seminar
and Research Internship Experience
|GE Area UD-D: Upper-Division Social Sciences||3|
|University Elective - Take Two||5|
Major Electives (9-12 units)
Area 1: Inequalities in the United States
SOC 272 Social Inequality: Poverty, Wealth, and Privilege (4 units)
SOC 362 The Social Construction of Deviance and Conformity (4 units)
SOC 455 Punishment and Social Control (3 units)
SOC 469 Gender and Society (4 units) (UD-D)
SOC 490 Sociology of Popular Culture (3 units)
Area 2: Global Inequalities
SOC 461 Ethnic Relations: International Comparisons (4 units)
SOC 471 Societal Change and Development (4 units)
SOC 477 Environmental Sociology (3 units) (UD-D, ES, GP)
SOC 482 Global Immigration and Immigrants (3 units)
SOC 483 Global Sociology (4 units) (UD-D, GP)
SOC 484 Population and Social Dynamics (4 units)
SOC 645 Sociology of Latin America (3 units)
The remaining elective units may include additional courses from these areas: 3-4 upper-division units outside Sociology upon approval of a Sociology advisor, or any other course with a Sociology prefix including SOC 105, SOC 110, SOC 200, and SOC 245.
To Do at SF State:
Enough total units to reach 120 minimum for graduation; 30 units minimum at the upper-division level; to include the following:
University-Wide Requirements: 9-15 Units
- American Institutions (0-6 units): US History, US Government, California State and Local Government requirements if not met before transfer.
- Upper-Division GE, Areas B, C, and D (9 units): Upper-division GE (9 units): Courses required for the major may double-count if approved for UD GE.
- Students entering this major with the AA-T in Sociology are not required to fulfill SF State Studies requirements.
- Complementary Studies: Consult with a department advisor on how transfer units and/or SF State units can be applied to ensure degree completion within 60 units.
Sociology Major: 30-31 Units
- Required Courses (16 units): Note that there is a four-semester sequence for required courses:
- Capstone (3 units): SOC 500 or SOC 501 and SOC 502 or SOC 503 and SOC 504
- Elective Courses: (9-12 units)
- 12 units from ADT may be applied to electives
- 6-8 units: Take one course from Area I and one course from Area II
- 3-4 units: Select in consultation with a department advisor
University Electives: 13 or More Units
Depends on course choices made at the community college, how transferred units are applied to the requirements above, and course choices at SF State. Some courses may meet more than one requirement, e.g., in both UD GE and the major. Upper-division electives are recommended to meet the minimum 40-unit requirement.