Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics: Concentration in Teaching – MATH Associate Degree for Transfer Roadmap
This is a sample pathway for students who transfer to San Francisco State University in the current Bulletin year with an AS-T in Mathematics. At least 12 units in the major (MATH 226, MATH 227, MATH 228) and all lower-division GE requirements have been satisfied. Additional units in the major may have been satisfied. Check with a major advisor about the most appropriate course sequence. Degree completion guaranteed in 60 units; see the Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) section for more information.
|Select One (Major Concentration):||3|
|Introduction to Computer Programming|
|MATH 301GW||Exploration and Proof - GWAR (Major Core)||3|
|MATH 325||Linear Algebra (Major Core)||3|
|GE Area UD-B: Upper-Division Physical and/or Life Sciences||3|
|MATH 324||Probability and Statistics with Computing (Major Concentration)||3|
|MATH 350||Geometry (Major Concentration)||3|
|GE Area UD-C: Upper-Division Arts and/or Humanities||3|
or University Elective if US History met before transfer
|MATH 310||Elementary Number Theory (Major Concentration) 1||3|
|MATH 335||Modern Algebra (Major Core)||3|
|MATH 375||Field Study for Secondary Teachers (Major Concentration) 1||3|
|GE Area UD-D: Upper-Division Social Sciences||3|
|U.S. and California Government||3|
or University Elective if US/CA Government met before transfer
|MATH 300GW||History of Mathematics - GWAR (Major Concentration)||3|
|MATH 370||Real Analysis I (Major Core)||3|
|MATH 475||Capstone Course for Secondary Teachers of Mathematics (Major Concentration) 2||3|
|University Elective – Take Two||6|
MATH 475 is offered Spring Semesters only.
To Do at SF State:
Enough total units to reach 120 minimum for graduation; 30 units minimum at the upper-division level; to include the following:
University-Wide Requirements: 9–15 Units
- American Institutions (0–6 units): US History, US Government, California State and Local Government requirements if not taken before transfer.
- Upper-Division GE (9 units): Courses required for the major may double-count if approved for UD GE.
- Students entering this major with the AS-T in Mathematics are not required to fulfill SF State Studies requirements.
- Complementary Studies: Consult with a department advisor on how transfer units and/or SF State units can be applied to ensure degree completion within 60 units.
Mathematics for Teaching Major: 30–33 Units
- Core (12 units)
- Concentration (18–21 units)
- Students must meet with a major advisor during their first semester.
University Electives: 12 or More Units
Depends on course choices made at the community college, how transferred units are applied to the requirements above, and course choices at SF State. Some courses may meet more than one requirement, e.g., both in UD GE and the major.