Bachelor of Arts in Art: Art History and Studio Art – ARTS or ARTH Associate Degree for Transfer Roadmap
This is a sample pathway for students who transfer to San Francisco State University in the current Bulletin year with an AA-T in Studio Arts or an AA-T in Art History. Twelve units in the major (two lower-division studio courses, two lower-division art history courses) and all lower-division GE requirements have been satisfied. Check with a major advisor about the most appropriate course sequence. Degree completion guaranteed in 60 units; see the Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) section for more information.
|Major Upper Division Art History – 20th–21st Century topic 1||3|
|Major Upper Division Studio||3|
|GE Area A: Written English Communication II (A4)||3|
or University Elective if A4 met before transfer
or University Elective if US History met before transfer
|GE Area UD-B: Upper-Division Physical and/or Life Sciences (Consider SF State Studies Course)||3|
|ARTH 400GW||Writing About Art - GWAR||3|
|Major Upper Division Studio||3|
|Major Upper Division Art History 1||3|
|U.S. and California Government||3|
or University Elective if US/CA Government met before transfer
|ART 509||Art Productions: Studio, Art History, Art Education||1|
|Major Upper Division Studio (designate as pre-capstone on advisement) 2||3|
|Major Upper Division Art History – Take Two 1||6|
|GE Area UD-C: Upper-Division Arts and/or Humanities (Consider SF State Studies Course)||3|
|ARTH 602||Art History Seminar||3|
or Capstone Studio
|Major Upper Division Studio – Take Two||6|
|GE Area UD-D: Upper-Division Social Sciences (Consider SF State Studies Course)||3|
Upper Division Art History (12 units total)
Potential capstone courses include all 600-level courses and 500-level studio courses on advisement. Students in this concentration have the option of designating ARTH 602: Art History Seminar as the capstone if preferred.
To Do at SF State:
Enough total units to reach 120 minimum for graduation; 40 units minimum at the upper division level; to include the following:
University-Wide Requirements: 9–18 Units
- ENG 214 or equivalent A4 course (0–3 units) if not taken before transfer
- American Institutions (0–6 units): US History, US Government, California State and Local Government requirements if not taken before transfer
- Upper division GE, areas B, C, and D (9 units)
- Students entering the major with the AA-T in Art History or Studio Arts are not required to fulfill SF State Studies requirements.
- Complementary Studies: consult with a department advisor on how transfer units and/or SF State units can be applied to ensure degree completion within 60 units.
Art major (Art History and Studio Art): 34 Units
Twelve units met in transfer: two lower division studio courses; two lower division art history courses.
- Upper Division Art History (12 units): including 20th/21st century topic
- Upper Division Studio (15 units): choose one or two studio areas to develop skills that will lead to developing a guided, personally directed body of work in a capstone course in the senior year.
- Capstone Experience (3 units): ARTH 602 or Upper Division Studio Capstone in 3rd or 4th semester. See Note 1 above.
- Art Productions (1 unit): ART 509
- Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (3 units): ARTH 400GW
University Electives: Eight or More Units
Units depending on course choices made at the community college, how transferred units are applied to the requirements above, and course choices at SF State – some courses may meet more than one requirement, e.g., both in UD GE and the major.