Bachelor of Arts in Social Work Associate Degree for Transfer Roadmap
This is a sample pathway for students who transfer to San Francisco State University in the current Bulletin year with an AS-T in Social Work and Human Services. At least 12 units in the major and all lower division GE requirements have been satisfied. Additional units in the major may have been satisfied. Check with a major advisor about the most appropriate course sequence. Degree completion guaranteed in 60 units; see the Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) section for more information.
|S W 300||U.S. Social Welfare: Past, Present, and Future||3|
|S W 302||Introduction to Social Service Organizations||3|
|S W 352||Gender, Sexism, and Social Welfare||3|
|S W 410||Human Development and the Social Services||3|
|GE Area A: Written English Communication II (A4) if not already satisfied||3|
or University Elective if requirement met before transfer
|S W 301GW||U.S. Social Welfare II: Problems, Policies, and Programs - GWAR||3|
|S W 400||Social Work Practice I||3|
|S W 402||Interviewing Skills in Social Work||3|
|S W 470||Social Differences and Social Work Practice||3|
|GE Area UD-C: Upper-Division Arts and/or Humanities (Consider SF State Studies Course)||3|
|S W 350
or GRN 500
|Services to Children, Youth, and Their Families
or Gerontology: An Interdisciplinary Perspective
|S W 401||Social Work Practice II||3|
|S W 456||Urban Community Organizing and Citizen Action||3|
|S W 502||Seminar on Field Experience I||2|
|S W 503||Field Experience in the Social Services I||2|
|S W 450||Introduction to Research in Social Work||3|
|S W 504||Seminar on Field Experience II||2|
|S W 505||Field Experience in the Social Services II||2|
|GE Area UD-B: Upper-Division Physical and/or Life Sciences (Consider SF State Studies Course)||3|
|GE Area UD-D: Upper-Division Social Sciences (Consider SF State Studies Course)||3|
To Do at SF State:
Enough total units to reach 120 minimum for graduation; 40 units minimum at the upper division level; to include the following:
University-wide requirements: 3-12 units
- ENG 214 or equivalent A4 course (0-3 units) if not taken before transfer
- American Institutions (0-6 units) - US History, US Government, California State and Local Government. See next bullet if not completed before transfer.
- Upper Division GE, areas B, C and D (9 units) – Choose UD-C/UD-D courses that also satisfy US History, US Government, California State and Local Government if these requirements not met before transfer.
- Students entering the major with the AA-T in SWHS are not required to fulfill SF State Studies requirements.
- Complementary Studies: Major prerequisite courses (BIOL, ECON, PSY, SOC) satisfy this requirement.
Social Work major: 44 units
University electives: 2 or more units
Units depending on course choices made at the community college, how transferred units are applied to the requirements above, and course choices at SF State - some courses may meet more than one requirement, e.g. in both UD GE and the major.