Bachelor of Arts in Anthropology – ANTH Associate Degree for Transfer Roadmap
This is a sample pathway for students who transfer to San Francisco State University in the current Bulletin year with an AA-T in Anthropology.
Nine units in the major (ANTH 100, ANTH 110, ANTH 120) and all GE requirements have been satisfied. Check with a major advisor about the most appropriate course sequence. Degree completion guaranteed in 60 units; see the Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) section for more information.
|ANTH 130||Introduction to Visual Anthropology||3|
|ANTH 300||Foundations of Anthropology: History||3|
|ANTH 305GW||Writing Anthropology - GWAR 1||3|
|GE Area A: Written English Communication II (A4)||3|
or University Elective if A4 met in transfer
or University Elective if US History met in transfer
||Foundations of Human Variation 2
or Foundations of Archaeology
or Foundations of Visual Anthropology
or University Elective if US/CA Government met in transfer
|Major ANTH Electives - Take two||6|
or ANTH 609
|Anthropology and Film 3
or Approaches to the African Past
|Area 2: Major Methods and Practicum – See list below||4|
|University Elective - Take two||8|
or ANTH 657
|Cross-Cultural Aspects of Sex and Gender 4
or Ethnology of Dance
|Major ANTH Elective||3|
|University Elective – Take Three||9|
If ENG 214 or equivalent is not completed prior to transfer, then ANTH 305GW must be completed by the second semester. Progress in the major and length of time for degree completion may be affected if this requirement is not completed before transfer.
ANTH 302 also fulfills UD GE: B.
To Do at SF State:
Enough total units to reach 120 minimum for graduation; 40 units minimum at the upper division level; to include the following:
University-Wide Requirements: 9–18 Units
- ENG 214 or equivalent A4 course (0–3 units) if not taken before transfer
- American Institutions (0–6 units): US History, US Government, California State and Local Government requirements if not completed prior to transfer
- Upper Division GE areas B, C and D (9 units): See notes for courses that satisfy both major and UD GE requirements.
- Students entering this major with the AA-T in Anthropology are not required to fulfill SF State Studies requirements.
- Complementary Studies: consult with a department advisor on how transfer units and/or SF State units can be applied to ensure degree completion within 60 units.
Anthropology Major: 30-31 Units
- Foundation Core (includes GWAR, ANTH 300 and ANTH 130): 9 units
- Area 1 – Theory and Foundations: 3 units
- Area 2 – Methods and Practicum: 4-6 units (if 6 units taken, reduce ANTH electives to 12)
- Electives in ANTH: 15 units
- At least one UD course in Area One or Two or electives must be taken in each of 3 subfields: Biological, Cultural/Visual, and Archaeology.
University electives: 18 or More Units
Depends on course choices made at the community college, how transferred units are applied to the requirements above, and course choices at SF State – some courses may meet more than one requirement, e.g. in both UD GE and in the major.
Area 2: Major Methods and Practicum
|ANTH 333||Primate Behavior||4|
|ANTH 530||Human Osteology Practicum||4|
|ANTH 531||Fossil Humans Practicum||4|
|ANTH/USP 557||Ethnography of the Inner City||4|
|ANTH 592||Archaeological Methods||4|
|ANTH 595||Anthropological Filmmaking I||6|
|ANTH 596||Anthropological Filmmaking II||4|
|ANTH 651||Ethnographic Field Methods||4|
|ANTH 652||Anthropological Statistics||4|