Bachelor of Arts in Chemistry – CHEM Associate Degree for Transfer Roadmap
This is a sample pathway for students who transfer to San Francisco State University in the current Bulletin year with an AS-T in Chemistry. Thirty-four units in the major (CHEM 115/CHEM 215/CHEM 216, CHEM 233/CHEM 234, CHEM 335/CHEM 336, MATH 226/MATH 227, required PHYS sequence) and 33 units of lower-division GE have been satisfied. Check with a major advisor about the most appropriate course sequence for you. Degree completion guaranteed in 60 units; see the Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) section for more information.
& CHEM 322
|Quantitative Chemical Analysis
and Quantitative Chemical Analysis Laboratory (Major Upper-Division)
or SCI 560GW
|Contemporary Chemistry and Biochemistry Research - GWAR (Major Upper-Division)
or Science Writing - GWAR
or University Elective if US History complete
|CHEM 300||Physical Chemistry for Life Sciences I (Major Upper-Division)||3|
or CHEM 340
|General Biochemistry (Major Upper-Division)
or Biochemistry I
|GE Area C||3|
|GE Area D||3|
|GE Area UD-B: Upper-Division Physical and/or Life Sciences||3|
|CHEM 325||Inorganic Chemistry (Major Upper-Division)||3|
|GE Area UD-C: Upper-Division Arts and/or Humanities||3|
|University Elective - Take Three||9|
|Advanced Laboratory Elective 1||3|
|GE Area UD-D: Upper-Division Social Sciences||3|
|U.S. and California Government||3|
or University Elective if US/CA Government met before transfer
|University Elective – Take Two||6|
Advanced Laboratory Electives
To Do at SF State:
Enough total units to reach 120 minimum for graduation; 30 units minimum at the upper-division level; to include the following:
University-Wide Requirements: 15-21 Units
- American Institutions (0-6 units): US History, US Government, California State and Local Government requirements if not taken before transfer.
- Lower-division GE (6 units) – Area C (3 units in any subarea) and Area D (3 units). D2 courses satisfy US History; D3 courses satisfy US/CA Government requirements.
- Upper-division GE, Areas B, C, and D (9 units) - Courses required for the major may double-count if approved for UD GE.
- Students entering this major with the AS-T in Chemistry are not required to fulfill SF State Studies requirements.
- Complementary Studies is met in major with required PHYS and MATH courses.
Chemistry B.A.: 20-23 Units
- Major Upper-Division Requirements/GWAR (17-20 units)
- Major Advanced Laboratory Electives (3 units) - Consult with an advisor regarding the selection of elective courses and check course co- and prerequisites before enrolling.
University Electives: 19 or More Units
Depending on course choices made at the community college, how transferred units are applied to the requirements above, and course choices at SF State. Some courses may meet more than one requirement, e.g., UD GE and the major. Upper-division electives are recommended to meet the minimum 40-unit requirement.