Bachelor of Science in Biology: Concentration in Cell and Molecular Biology – BIOL Associate Degree for Transfer Roadmap
This is a sample pathway for students who transfer to San Francisco State University in the current Bulletin year with an AS-T in Biology. Thirty-two units in the major (BIOL 230/BIOL 240, CHEM 115/CHEM 215/CHEM 216, MATH 226, required PHYS sequence) and 33 units of lower division GE requirements have been satisfied. Check with a major advisor about the most appropriate course sequence. Degree completion guaranteed in 60 units; see the Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) section for more information.
|Introduction to Computer Programming|
|Forensic Genetics: Math Matters|
|CHEM 233||Organic Chemistry I||3|
|GE Area A: Written English Communication II (A4)||3|
or University Elective if A4 met in transfer
|US History 1||3|
or University Elective if US History met before transfer
|GE Area C: Arts (C1) or Humanities (C2) or Humanities: Literature (C3)||3|
|BIOL 350||Cell Biology||3|
|BIOL 355||Genetics 2||3|
|CHEM 335||Organic Chemistry II||3|
|GE Area D: Social Sciences (D1) or U.S. History (D2) or U.S. and California Government (D3)||3|
|GE Area UD-C: Upper-Division Arts and/or Humanities (Consider SF State Studies Course)||3|
|BIOL 351GW||Experiments in Cell and Molecular Biology - GWAR||4|
|BIOL 357||Molecular Genetics||3|
|CHEM 349||General Biochemistry||3|
|GE Area UD-D: Upper-Division Social Sciences (Consider SF State Studies Course)||3|
|Major Upper Division Electives 3||11|
|University Elective or UD-C or UD-D if needed||3|
Some GE Area UD–C: Upper Division Arts and/or Humanities courses also satisfy US History. Check the Class Schedule
BIOL 355 satisfies GE Area UD–B: Upper Division Physical and/or Life Sciences.
BIOL 332 Health Disparities in Cancer (3 units)
To Do at SF State:
Enough total units to reach 120 minimum for graduation; 40 units minimum at the upper division level; to include the following:
University-Wide Requirements: 12–21 Units
- ENG 214 or equivalent A4 course (0–3 units) if not taken before transfer
- American Institutions (0–6 units): US History requirement if not completed prior to transfer
- Lower division GE (6 units) – Area C (3 units in any subarea) and Area D (3 units; D2 satisfies US History if needed; D3 satisfies US/CA Government requirement if needed)
- Upper division GE (6 units to do): 1) Major course satisfies UD-B. 2) Take UD-C and UD-D courses. See notes.
- Students entering this major with the AS-T in Biology are not required to fulfill SF State Studies or Complementary Studies requirements.
Biology – Cell and Molecular Biology Major: 37 Units
- Lower Division requirements (7 units): CHEM 233; CSC 210 or MATH 227. BIOL 358 or BIOL 458 can be substituted for CSC 210 or MATH 227.
- Major Upper Division Requirements/GWAR (19 units)
- Major Upper Division Electives (11 units) – upon advisement; includes lab component. See list above.
University Electives: Two or More Units
Depends on course choices made at the community college, how transferred units are applied to the requirements above, and course choices at SF State. Some courses may meet more than one requirement, e.g. UD GE and the major.