Bachelor of Science in Biology: Concentration in Cell and Molecular Biology – BIOL Associate Degree for Transfer Roadmap
This is a sample pathway for students who transfer to San Francisco State University in the current Bulletin year with an AS-T in Biology. Thirty-two units in the major (BIOL 230/BIOL 240, CHEM 115/CHEM 215/CHEM 216, MATH 226, required PHYS sequence) and 33 units of lower-division GE requirements have been satisfied. Check with a major advisor about the most appropriate course sequence. Degree completion guaranteed in 60 units; see the Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) section for more information.
|Select One (Major Lower-Division):||3-4|
|Introduction to Computer Programming|
|Forensic Genetics: Math Matters|
|CHEM 233||Organic Chemistry I (Major Lower-Division)||3|
or University Elective if US History met before transfer
|GE Area C||3|
|BIOL 350||Cell Biology (Major Upper-Division)||3|
|BIOL 355||Genetics (Major Upper-Division) 1||3|
|CHEM 335||Organic Chemistry II (Major Upper-Division)||3|
|GE Area D||3|
|GE Area UD-C: Upper-Division Arts and/or Humanities||3|
|BIOL 351GW||Experiments in Cell and Molecular Biology - GWAR (Major Upper-Division)||4|
|BIOL 357||Molecular Genetics (Major Upper-Division)||3|
|CHEM 349||General Biochemistry (Major Upper-Division)||3|
|GE Area UD-D: Upper-Division Social Sciences||3|
|Major Upper-Division Electives (11 units) 2||11|
BIOL 355 satisfies GE Area UD-B: Upper-Division Physical and/or Life Sciences.
Major Electives (11 units)
BIOL 332 Health Disparities in Cancer (3 units) (AERM, GP, SJ)
Course fulfills the upper-division laboratory elective requirement.
To Do at SF State:
Enough total units to reach 120 minimum for graduation; 40 units minimum at the upper-division level; to include the following:
University-Wide Requirements: 12–18 Units
- American Institutions (0-6 units): US History, US Government, CA Government. If not met in transfer, see next bullets.
- Lower-Division GE (6 units) – Area C (3 units in any subarea) and Area D (3 units). D2 courses satisfy US History; D3 courses satisfy US/CA Government requirements.
- Upper-Division GE (9 units): See Notes 1 and 2. Also, courses may satisfy the US History or US/CA Government requirements, and UD-C or UD-D at the same time, if approved for multiple areas.
- Students entering this major with the AS-T in Biology are not required to fulfill SF State Studies or Complementary Studies requirements.
Biology – Cell and Molecular Biology Major: 37 Units
- Lower-Division Requirements (7 units): CHEM 233; CSC 210 or MATH 227. BIOL 358 or BIOL 458 can be substituted for CSC 210 or MATH 227.
- Major Upper-Division Requirements/GWAR (19 units)
- Major Upper-Division Electives (11 units) – upon advisement; includes lab component. See list above.
University Electives: 5 or More Units
Depends on course choices made at the community college, how transferred units are applied to the requirements above, and course choices at SF State. Some courses may meet more than one requirement, e.g. UD GE and the major.