Bachelor of Arts in Political Science – POLS Associate Degree for Transfer Roadmap
This is a sample pathway for students who transfer to San Francisco State University in the current Bulletin year with an AA-T in Political Science. At least three units in the major (PLSI 200) and all lower-division GE requirements have been satisfied. Additional units in the major may have been satisfied. Check with a major advisor about the most appropriate course sequence. Degree completion guaranteed in 60 units; see the Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) section for more information.
|PLSI 250||Comparative Politics||3|
|PLSI 300||Scientific Inquiry in Political Science||4|
or University Elective if A4 was met before transfer
or University Elective if US History met before transfer
|GE Area UD-B: Upper-Division Physical and/or Life Sciences||3|
|PLSI 275||Introduction to Political Theory||3|
|Major Breadth 1||4|
|Major Elective – on Advisement 2||3|
|GE Area UD-C: Upper-Division Arts and/or Humanities||3|
|Major Breadth – Take Two 1||8|
|Major Elective - on advisement 2||3-4|
|GE Area UD-D: Upper-Division Social Sciences||3|
|Major Elective – on advisement - Take Two 2||6|
|Culminating Experience 3||3-4|
|University Elective – Take Two||5-6|
Breadth Requirement (9-12 units)
Upper-division Political Science courses chosen to include at least one course in at least three of these four sub-fields:
PLSI 460 Topics in American Politics (4 units)
Electives (8-11 Units)
It is recommended that elective units be taken in Political Science. However, up to eight upper-division units may be selected from related departments with consent of a major advisor.
PLSI 100 Understanding Politics (3 units)
Culminating Experience (3-4 units)
PLSI 605 Senior Seminar: Student's Choice Empirical Research Project (4 units)
PLSI 606 Senior Seminar in American Politics (3 units)
PLSI 607 Senior Seminar in Comparative Politics (3 units)
PLSI 608 Senior Seminar in Political Theory (3 units)
PLSI 609 Senior Seminar in Public Law: Legal Issues (3 units)
To Do at SF State:
Enough total units to reach 120 minimum for graduation; 40 units minimum at the upper division level; to include the following:
University–Wide Requirements: 9–12 units
- American Institutions (0–3 units): US History requirement if not completed prior to transfer. Please note: the US Government and California State and Local Government requirements were most likely completed as part of the AA-T. Check DPR to see whether this requirement is satisfied. If not, complete the requirement in place of a University Elective.
- Upper division GE, areas B, C, D (9 units): Courses required for the major may double-count if approved for UD GE.
- Students entering this major with the AA-T in Political Science are not required to fulfill SF State Studies requirements.
- Complementary Studies: consult with a department advisor on how transfer units and/or SF State units can be applied to ensure degree completion within 60 units.
Political Science Major: 31–38 Units
PLSI 200 met in transfer.
- Core (4–10 units): PLSI 300, and PLSI 250 and PLSI 275 if not met in transfer
- University GWAR requirement: Take one upper-division course with GW suffix from either breadth or elective category.
- Breadth requirement (9-12 units): One upper division course from three of four sub-fields: American politics; comparative politics; political theory; public law. Note: PLSI courses are three or four units. See note 1 above.
- Electives (8-11 units): Up to eight upper-division units from areas outside of PLSI may be used with consent of a major advisor. See note 2 above.
- Senior Seminar: Culminating Experience (3–4 units): See note 3 above.
University Electives: Nine or More Units
Depends on course choices made at the community college, how transferred units are applied to the requirements above, and course choices at SF State - some courses may meet more than one requirement, e.g. in both UD GE and the major.