Bachelor of Arts in English: Concentration in Professional Writing and Rhetoric – ENGL Associate Degree for Transfer Roadmap
This is a sample roadmap for students who transfer to San Francisco State University in the current Bulletin year with an AA-T in English with 60 units in transfer. Six units in the major (ENG 218, ENG 250) and all GE requirements have been satisfied. Additional units in the major may have been satisfied. Check with a major advisor about the most appropriate course sequence. Degree completion guaranteed in 60 units; see the Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) section for more information.
|ENG 402||Introduction to Professional Writing and Rhetoric (Major Upper-Division Core)||3|
|ENG 461||Literature in English Since 1800 (Major Upper-Division Core)||3|
|ENG 480GW||Writing in English: GWAR Seminar (Major Upper-Division Core)||3|
or University Elective if US History met before transfer
|ENG 420||Introduction to the Study of Language (Major Upper-Division Core)||3|
|ENG 540||Professional Editing (Major Concentration)||3|
|ENG 583||Shakespeare: Representative Plays (Major Upper-Division Core)||3|
|Concentration Elective (9 Units Total) - Take One 1||3|
|GE Area UD-B: Upper-Division Physical and/or Life Sciences||3|
|ENG 545||Visual Rhetoric and Document Design (Major Concentration)||3|
|Concentration Elective (9 Units Total) - Take Two 1||6|
|GE Area UD-C: Upper-Division Arts and/or Humanities||3|
|U.S. and California Government||3|
or University Elective if US/CA Government met before transfer
|ENG 618||Individual and Team Writing (Major Concentration)||3|
|ENG 640||Global Texts and Practices (Major Upper-Division Core)||3|
|ENG 695||Internship in Professional Writing and Rhetoric (Major Capstone)||3|
|GE Area UD-D: Upper-Division Social Sciences||3|
Concentration Electives - 9 Units selected from courses below:
ENG 200 Writing Practices in Professional Contexts (3 units) (C2)
To Do at SF State:
Enough total units to reach 120 minimum for graduation; 30 units minimum at the upper division level; to include the following:
University-Wide Requirements: 9-15 Units
- American Institutions (0-6 units): US History, US Government, California State and Local Government requirements if not taken before transfer.
- Upper-Division GE, Areas B, C, and D (9 units): Courses required for the major may double-count if approved for UD GE.
- Students entering this major with the AA-T in English are not required to fulfill SF State Studies requirements.
- Complementary Studies: Consult with a department advisor on how transfer units and/or SF State units can be applied to ensure degree completion within 60 units.
English (Professional Writing and Rhetoric) Major: 39 Units
- Upper-Division Core (18 units)
- Concentration Requirements (21 units) includes:
- ENG 540, ENG 545, ENG 618
- Electives (9 units): Select in consultation with an advisor.
- Capstone Experience (3 units): ENG 695. Must be taken in final semester of the final year.
University Electives: 6 or More Units
Depends on course choices made at the community college, how transferred units are applied to the requirements above, and course choices at SF State - some courses may meet more than one requirement, e.g. UD GE and the major.