Readmission and Special Sessions

This is an archived copy of the 2016-2017 bulletin. To access the most recent version of the bulletin, please visit Any changes will appear on our errata page.

Former students of the university must apply for readmission if they have been absent for two consecutive semesters (excluding summer sessions). A student must be enrolled in at least one class through the end of the twentieth day of instruction in order to be considered a continuing student. (See Planned Educational Leave of Absence for more information.) If a student has attended any other educational institution since previous attendance as a matriculated student at this university, transcripts for that academic work must be supplied at the time of readmission.

Undergraduate applications for readmission and all supporting materials must be filed in the Admissions Office in accordance with current requirements and procedures. Students on academic probation, who discontinued their official enrollment at the university for more than one semester, will be considered for readmission only upon presentation of evidence of having earned a C average in all university work attempted at San Francisco State University. Grade point deficiencies incurred at San Francisco State University may be removed only by course work taken through Open University or Winter Session at San Francisco State University.

Readmission information for graduate students can be found in the Graduate Studies section of this Bulletin.

Special Sessions

A limited number of degree, credential, and certificate programs are offered through special sessions. To be considered officially matriculated at SF State, special sessions students must be admitted to a specific degree, credential, or certificate program offered by an academic department via the College of Extended Learning (CEL) and then enroll through CEL in the courses for that specific program. Special sessions degree, credential, and certificate students have matriculated status.

The list of current and anticipated special sessions programs, grouped by category (degree, credential, and certificate) appears in the College of Extended Learning section of this Bulletin.

The following web sites provide additional information:, and