Bachelor of Arts in Communicative Disorders

This is an archived copy of the 2016-2017 bulletin. To access the most recent version of the bulletin, please visit Any changes will appear on our errata page.

Advisors: Epstein, Gray, Robinson, Raggio, Solomon-Rice, Yu

Program courses constitute the specific requirements for a liberal arts major in communicative disorders leading to the baccalaureate degree at this University. The undergraduate sequence or a program equivalence is prerequisite to the Master of Science in communicative disorders. A master’s degree in the area of speech-language pathology (SLP) is required for professional license to practice in the field. A doctoral degree in Audiology (AUD) is required for professional licensing in audiology. All undergraduates, regardless of their intention to become an audiologist or speech-language pathologist, take the same coursework. Twelve core courses are required for the major. The B.A. degree is not a terminal degree. While the B.A. degree in CD does not qualify the student to practice speech-language pathology or audiology, there are related fields open to the B.A. graduate that include employment as teacher’s assistant, classroom aide, child development worker, and speech-language pathology assistant with additional intern experience beyond the undergraduate degree. In addition, the BA degree in CD is strong preparation for a number of graduate programs in special education, education, rehabilitation counseling, and related fields.

The undergraduate degree requires 120 units minimum. Students entering the program must hold the status of junior, and declare Communicative Disorders as the major. Students are required to meet the following criteria prior to enrollment in the major coursework:

  • PHYS 101 Conceptual Physics or equivalent
    or CHEM 101 Survey of Chemistry or equivalent
  • MATH 124 Elementary Statistics or PSY 171 Quantitative Reasoning in Psychology or ISED 160 Data Analysis in Education or equivalent
  • Additionally, students must have satisfactorily completed a course in the biological sciences in any of the following areas: biology, human anatomy and physiology, neuroanatomy and neurophysiology, human genetics, or veterinary science; and a course in social/behavioral sciences in one of the following areas: psychology, sociology, anthropology, or public health.

All undergraduates, regardless of their intention to become an audiologist (AuD) or speech-language pathologist (SLP), take the same coursework. Twelve core courses are required for the major.

To advance in the undergraduate program, students must:

  • Maintain an overall grade point average of C or better (2.0 GPA) with no grade less than a C-
  • Successfully complete all courses in each semester sequence.

Students who do not meet these criteria cannot take any additional courses in the sequence. Courses with less than a C- grade must be retaken before enrollment in the complete sequence may continue.

Communicative Disorders (B.A.) — 36 units

Required Courses

C D 651Anatomy and Physiology of the Speech Mechanism3
C D 652Audiology3
C D 653Fluency and Voice Disorders3
C D 654Audiometry3
C D 656Diagnosis of Communicative Disorders3
C D 658Communication Development and Disorders3
C D 659Articulatory and Phonological Disorders3
C D 660Communicative Disorders3
C D 661Neurolinguistics3
C D 663Introduction to Augmentative/Alternative Communication3
C D 664Clinical Phonetics3
C D 668GWLanguage Acquisition and Development - GWAR3

Complementary Studies

Bachelor of Arts students must complete at least twelve units of complementary studies outside of the primary prefix for the major. (Note: Students may not use an alternate prefix that is cross-listed with the primary prefix for the major.) Students who complete two majors or a major and a minor automatically complete the complementary studies requirement. Additional ways to complete complementary studies for students in the B.A. Communicative Disorders program are to

  1. complete twelve units of Special Education courses (SPED); or
  2. consult with a major advisor about other choices.

General Education Requirements

Requirement Course Level Units Area Designation
Oral Communication LD 3 A1
Written English Communication I LD 3 A2
Critical Thinking LD 3 A3
Written English Communication II LD 3 A4
Physical Science LD 3 B1
Life Science LD 3 B2
Lab Science LD 1 B3
Mathematics/Quantitative Reasoning LD 3 B4
Arts LD 3 C1
Arts or Humanities LD 3 C1 or C2
Humanities: Literature LD 3 C3
Social Sciences LD 3 D1
Social Sciences: US History LD 3 D2
Social Sciences: US & CA Governement LD 3 D3
Lifelong Learning and Self-Development (LLD) LD or UD 3 E
Physical and/or Life Science UD 3 UD-B
Arts and/or Humanities UD 3 UD-C
Social Sciences UD 3 UD-D
SF State Studies
Courses certified as meeting the SF State Studies requirements may be upper or lower division in General Education (GE), in a major or minor, or may be an elective.
American Ethnic and Racial Minorities (AERM) LD or UD 3
Environmental Sustainability (ES) LD or UD 3
Global Perspectives (GP) LD or UD 3
Social Justice (SJ) LD or UD 3

Note: LD = lower division; UD = upper division.

General Advising Information for Transfer Students

  1. Before transfer, complete as many lower division requirements or electives for this major as possible.
  2. The following courses are not required for admission but are required for graduation. Students are strongly encouraged to complete these units before transfer; doing so will provide more flexibility in course selection after transfer.
    • a course in U.S. History
    • a course in U.S. & California government
    • a 2nd-semester course in written English composition

For information about satisfying the requirements described in (1) and (2) above at a California Community College (CCC), go to Check any geographically accessible CCCs; sometimes options include more than one college. Use ASSIST to determine

  • Which courses at a CCC satisfy any lower division major requirements for this major
  • Which courses at a CCC satisfy CSU GE, US History, and US & CA Government

Remedial courses are not transferable and do not apply to the minimum 60 units/90 quarters required for admission.

Additional units for courses that are repeated do not apply to the minimum 60 units required for upper division transfer (for example, if course was not passed on first attempt, or was taken to earn a better grade).

Before leaving the last California community college of attendance, obtain a summary of completion of lower division General Education units (IGETC or CSU GE Breadth). This is often referred to as a GE certification worksheet. SF State does not require delivery of this certification to Admissions, but students should retain this document for verifying degree progress after transfer.

Credit for Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, or College-Level Examination Program courses: AP/IB/CLEP credit is not automatically transferred from the previous institution. Units are transferred only when an official score report is delivered to SF State. Credit is based on the academic year during which exams were taken. Refer to the University Bulletin in effect during the year of AP/IB/CLEP examination(s) for details regarding award of credit for AP/IB/CLEP.

Students pursuing majors in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) disciplines often defer 6-9 units of lower division general education in areas C and D until after transfer in order to focus on preparation courses for the major. (This advice does not apply to students pursuing associate degree completion before transfer.)

Transferring from institutions other than CCCs or CSUs

Review SF State's lower division General Education requirements. As described above, the four basic skills courses required for admission meet A1, A2, A3 and B4 in the SF State GE pattern. Courses that fulfill the remaining areas of SF State’s lower division GE pattern are available at most two-year and four-year colleges and universities.

Of the four required basic skills courses, a course in critical thinking (GE A3) may not be widely offered outside the CCC and CSU systems. Students should attempt to identify and take an appropriate course no later than the term of application to the CSU. Review more information about the A3 requirement here.

Identify and complete a 2nd-semester written English composition course before transfer. This is usually the next course after the typical “freshman comp” course, with a focus on writing, reading and critical analytical skills for academic purposes, and developing skills in composing, revising, and the use of rhetorical strategies.

Waiting until after transfer to take a single course at SF State that meets both US and CA/local government requirements may be an appropriate option, particularly if transferring from outside of California.

All students must meet the transfer eligibility requirements outlines below for admission. For more information, visit the Undergraduate Admissions section.

  • Complete 60 or more transferable semester units or 90 or more quarter units
  • Earn a college grade point average of 2.00 or better in all transferable courses. Non-local area residents may be held to a higher GPA standard.
  • Be in good standing at the last college or university attended
  • Complete 30 semester units (45 quarter units) of general education, including four basic skills courses:
    1. One course in oral communication (same as CSU GE area A1)
    2. One course in written composition (same as CSU GE area A2)
    3. One course in critical thinking (same as CSU GE area A3)
    4. One course in mathematics or quantitative reasoning, with intermediate algebra as a prerequisite (same as CSU GE area B4)
  • The four basic skills courses and minimum of 60 transferable semester units (90 quarter units) must be completed by the spring semester prior to fall admission, or by the fall semester prior to spring admission. Earn a "C" or better grade in each basic skills course.