Multiple Subject Credential Programs
This credential authorizes the holder to teach the various subjects taught in self-contained classrooms in pre-school through grade twelve and in classes organized primarily for adults. Self-contained classrooms exist more commonly in California pre-schools and elementary schools. This program enables candidates to teach basic skills in all major areas of the PK - 12 curriculum. The program provides training in first and second language development, content instruction, and issues of culture and cultural diversity.
In addition to the training for the MSC, candidates seeking bilingual authorization receive training in theory, methods, and materials for primary language instruction (either Cantonese, Mandarin or Spanish) in all content areas. Candidates must demonstrate listening, speaking, reading, and writing proficiency in the target language (Cantonese, Mandarin or Spanish).
Requirements for the Preliminary Credential
- Baccalaureate degree, except in professional education, from a regionally accredited college or university. (Required for admission)
- Satisfy the Basic Skills Requirement (Required for admission). Successful passage of one of the following:
- California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST)
- CSET Multiple Subjects Test plus Writing Skills Test
- A Commission-approved out-of-state basic skills exam
- CSU Early Assessment Program (EAP) Placement Test
- Entry Level Math & English Placement Test (ELM & EPT)
- College Board SAT, ACT, and College Board Advanced Placement Examinations (AP)
- Subject Matter Competency. Candidates must demonstrate competency in multiple subject areas by passing the Commission-approved California Subject Matter Examination for Teachers—CSET: Multiple Subjects. (Required for admission)
- Complete Certificate of Clearance (fingerprinting) process. (Required for admission)
- Demonstrate knowledge of the principles of the Constitution of the United States. Applicants may satisfy the U.S. Constitution requirement either by course work or examination. Applicants who have earned a baccalaureate degree from a CSU campus have met this requirement.
- Level I Educational Technology requirement. May be met by taking ITEC 601 or the CSET Exams in Preliminary Educational Technology.
- Pass the Reading Instruction Competence Assessment (RICA) examination. RICA should be taken after taking E ED 782 and E ED 737.
- Complete a comprehensive, hands-on CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) training course for infants, children and adults. CPR card must be valid at the time of application for the Preliminary credential. Online CPR courses are not acceptable.
- Complete approved program of professional preparation.
EdTeaching Performance Assessment (edTPA)
All Multiple Subject credential candidates are required to pass the EdTeaching Performance Assessment during the final student teaching phase in order to earn the California Multiple Subject Credential. The edTPA provides teacher preparation programs a systemic approach to access to a multiple-measure assessment aligned to state and national standards, including Common Core State Standards.
Professional Education Requirements for Preliminary Credential
The Multiple Subject Teaching Credential program prepares qualified candidates with the course work and field experiences needed to effectively teach a multiple subjects general education classroom in California public schools.
The Multiple Subject Credential has several options:
- Two options for the Traditional MSC to teach in an English language classroom setting:
- Three-semester option (fall, spring, fall).
- One-calendar year (summer, fall, spring).
- Two options are available for the MSC Bilingual Authorization:
- The Spanish Bilingual Authorization Program is a one-year plus summer session program (fall, spring, summer).
- The Chinese Bilingual Authorization Program is three semesters (fall, spring, fall)
Course work is the same for all program options.
GPA Requirement for the Preliminary Credential
A GPA of 3.0 or better with no grade lower than a C is required in all courses comprising the professional education sequence. A grade of CR is acceptable only if mandated by the department.
Multiple Subject Credential — 41 units
|E ED 701||Social, Cultural, and Historical Foundations of Education||3|
|E ED 713||Spanish Heritage Language for the Bilingual Teacher: I (only for the Spanish Bilingual Program)||3|
|E ED 737||Teaching Social Studies, Social Justice, and Literacy: Grades 3-6||3|
|E ED 746||Teaching Practicum Phase I||1-3|
|E ED 747||Teaching Practicum Phase II||1-3|
|E ED 748||Teaching Practicum Phase III||1-7|
|E ED 749||Second Language Acquisition in the Elementary School||3|
|E ED 756||Teaching Practicum Seminar Phase I||1-3|
|E ED 757||Teaching Practicum Seminar Phase II||1-3|
|E ED 758||Teaching Practicum Seminar Phase III||1-3|
|E ED 777||Curriculum and Instruction in Science||3|
|E ED 782||Teaching Reading/Language Arts K-3||3-4|
|E ED 783||Developmental Teaching and Learning in Diverse School Settings, K-8||3|
|E ED 784||Curriculum and Instruction in Mathematics (CLAD Emphasis)||3|
|E ED 786||Seminar in Developmental Teaching and Learning||3|