Bachelor of Science in Biology: Concentration in Zoology – BIOL Associate Degree for Transfer Roadmap
This is a sample pathway for students who transfer to San Francisco State University in the current Bulletin year with an AS-T in Biology. Thirty-two units in the major (BIOL 230, BIOL 240, CHEM 115, CHEM 215, CHEM 216, MATH 226, and the required PHYS sequence) and 33 units of lower-division GE requirements have been satisfied. Check with a major advisor about the most appropriate course sequence. Degree completion guaranteed in 60 units; see the Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) section for more information.
|CHEM 130||General Organic Chemistry (Major Lower-Division Core)||3|
|Major Upper-Division Taxonomy or Whole Organism Biology of an Invertebrate or Vertebrate 1||3-4|
|GE Area C||3|
or University Elective if US History met before transfer
|BIOL 355||Genetics (Major Upper-Division Core) 2||3|
|BIOL 458||Biometry (Major Upper-Division Core)||4|
|GE Area D||3|
|GE Area UD-C: Upper-Division Arts and/or Humanities||3|
|BIOL 337||Evolution (Major Upper-Division Core)||3|
|Major Upper-Division Core - Select One 3||3|
|Ecology Course - Select One 4||3-4|
|GE Area UD-D: Upper-Division Social Sciences||3|
|Major Upper-Division Electives (11-14 units) - Take as many as needed to fulfill requirement 5||11-14|
Major Upper-Division Taxonomy or Whole Organism Biology of an Invertebrate or Vertebrate - Select One
BIOL 355 satisfies GE Area UD-B: Upper-Division Physical and/or Life Sciences.
Major Upper-Division Core - Select One
Ecology Courses - Select One
Electives (11-14 units)
Upon advisement choose from the alternates not used in fulfilling the "Taxonomy or Whole Organism Biology of an Invertebrate or Vertebrate" or "Major Upper-Division Core" or "Ecology" requirements listed above or any other upper-division Biology courses not specifically excluded for major credit, or any graduate Biology course.
Students must complete at least one GWAR course in order to graduate.
To Do at SF State:
Enough total units to reach 120 minimum for graduation; 30 units minimum at the upper-division level; to include the following:
University-Wide Requirements: 15–21 Units
- American Institutions (0-6 units): US History, US Government, CA Government.
- Lower-Division GE (6 units) – Area C (3 units in any subarea) and Area D (3 units). D2 courses satisfy US History; D3 courses satisfy US/CA Government requirements.
- Upper-Division GE (9 units): Courses may satisfy the US History or US/CA Government requirements, and UD-C or UD-D at the same time, if approved for multiple areas.
- Students entering this major with the AS-T in Biology are not required to fulfill SF State Studies or Complementary Studies requirements.
Biology – Zoology Major: 35 Units
- Lower-Division Requirements (3 units): CHEM 130 if not met in transfer.
- Major Upper-Division Requirements, including GWAR - see list below (21 units).
- Major Upper-Division Electives (11 units) – upon advisement.
Major Upper Division Requirement – Also Satisfies University GWAR
|BIOL 475GW||Herpetology - GWAR||3|
|BIOL 478GW||Ornithology - GWAR||4|
|BIOL 529GW||Plant Ecology - GWAR||4|
|BIOL 570GW||Biology of Fishes - GWAR||4|
University Electives: 10 or More Units
Depends on course choices made at the community college, how transferred units are applied to the requirements above, and course choices at SF State. Some courses may meet more than one requirement, e.g. both in UD, GE and the major.