Bachelor of Science in Biology: Concentration in Ecology – BIOL Associate Degree for Transfer Roadmap
This is a sample pathway for students who transfer to San Francisco State University in the current Bulletin year with an AS-T in Biology. Thirty-two units in the major (BIOL 230, BIOL 240, CHEM 115, CHEM 215, CHEM 216, MATH 226, and required PHYS sequence) and 33 units of lower-division GE requirements have been satisfied. Check with a major advisor about the most appropriate course sequence. Degree completion guaranteed in 60 units; see the Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) section for more information.
|BIOL 529GW||Plant Ecology - GWAR (Major Upper-Division) 1||4|
|CHEM 130||General Organic Chemistry (Major Lower-Division)||3|
|GE Area C||3|
or University Elective if US History met before transfer
|BIOL 355||Genetics (Major Upper-Division) 1||3|
|BIOL 458||Biometry (Major Upper-Division)||4|
|GE Area D||3|
|GE Area UD-C: Upper-Division Arts and/or Humanities||3|
|BIOL 337||Evolution (Major Upper-Division)||3|
or BIOL 630
|Plant Physiology (Major Upper-Division)
or Animal Physiology
|Major Upper-Division Requirement (3-4 units) 3||3-4|
|Major Upper-Division Electives (11–14 Units Total) - Take One 4||3|
|GE Area UD-D: Upper-Division Social Sciences||3|
|Major Upper-Division Electives (11–14 Units Total) - Take as many as needed 4||11|
Students are required to complete at least one GWAR course in order to graduate.
BIOL 355 also satisfies GE Area UD-B: Upper-Division Physical and/or Life Sciences.
Major Upper-Division Requirement
Select 3-4 units on advisement from the following:
Major Upper-Division Electives
To Do at SF State:
Enough total units to reach 120 minimum for graduation; 30 units minimum at the upper-division level; to include the following:
University-Wide Requirements: 15 Units
- American Institutions (0-6 units): US History, US Government, CA Government.
- Lower-Division GE (6 units) – Area C (3 units in any subarea) and Area D (3 units). D2 courses satisfy US History; D3 courses satisfy US/CA Government requirement.
- Upper-Division GE (9 units): Courses may satisfy the US History or US/CA Government requirements, and UD-C or UD-D at the same time, if approved for multiple areas.
- Students entering this major with the AS-T in Biology are not required to fulfill SF State Studies or Complementary Studies requirements.
Biology – Ecology Major: 38 Units
- Lower-Division Requirements (3 units): CHEM 130
- Major Upper-Division Requirements/GWAR (21 units)
- Major Upper-Division Electives (14 units) – upon advisement.
University Electives: 3 or More Units
Depends on course choices made at the community college, how transferred units are applied to the requirements above, and course choices at SF State. Some courses may meet more than one requirement, e.g., in both UD GE and the major.