Bachelor of Art in Philosophy: Emphasis in Philosophy and Law – SJS Associate Degree for Transfer Roadmap
This is a sample pathway for students who transfer to San Francisco State University in the current Bulletin year with an AA-T in Social Justice Studies. Up to three units in the major and all lower division GE requirements have been satisfied. Additional units in the major may have been satisfied. Check with a major advisor about the most appropriate course sequence. Degree completion guaranteed in 60 units; see the Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) section for more information.
|PHIL 303||Modern Philosophy 1||3|
|PHIL 320GW||Philosophical Analysis - GWAR||3|
|PHIL 450||Ethics 1||3|
or University Elective if US History met before transfer
|PHIL 205||Formal Logic I 2||3|
|PHIL 321||Being and Knowing||3|
|PHIL 335||Law and Society 3||3|
|PHIL 395||Ethical Issues: Science and Technology 4||3|
|U.S. and California Government||3|
or University Elective if US/CA Government met before transfer
|Ancient Philosophy 1|
|Medieval Philosophy 1|
|Islamic Philosophy 1|
|PHIL 330||Political Philosophy 1||3|
|PHIL 380||Philosophy of Law 1||3|
|PHIL 620||Philosophy of Mind||3|
|PHIL 610||Theory of Knowledge||3|
|PHIL 696||Directed Reading: Learning Outcomes||1|
|Normative Issues Elective||3|
|Additional Elective for Emphasis (course outside PHIL on advisement)||3-4|
PHIL 205 is highly recommended but not required of SJS AA-T students. Contact a Philosophy Department advisor for questions about this recommendation.
PHIL 335 fulfills Upper Division GE: UD-D.
PHIL 395 satisfies UD-B.
To Do at SF State:
Enough total units to reach 120 minimum for graduation; 40 units minimum at the upper division level; to include the following:
University-Wide Requirements: 9-15 Units
- American Institutions (0-6 units): US History, US Government, California State and Local Government requirements if not taken before transfer
- Upper-division GE (9 units): Courses required for the major may double-count if approved for UD GE.
- Students entering this major with the AA-T in Social Justice Studies are not required to fulfill SF State Studies requirements.
- Complementary Studies: consult with a department advisor on how transfer units and/or SF State units can be applied to ensure degree completion within 60 units.
Philosophy (Emphasis in Philosophy and Law) Major: 40-44 Units
Students are advised to work with a department advisor on the selection of courses.
- Required/GWAR (15 units): See note 3 above regarding PHIL 205.
- Disjunctive History (3 units)
- Core Philosophy Areas (6 units)
- Normative Issues (15 units)
- Elective (3-4 units)
- Culmination (1 unit)
University Electives: Ten or More Units
Depends on course choices made at the community college, how transferred units are applied to the requirements above, and course choices at SF State. Some courses may meet more than one requirement, e.g. in both UD GE and the major.