Bachelor of Arts in American Studies – SJS Associate Degree for Transfer Roadmap
This is a sample pathway for students who transfer to San Francisco State University in 2017–2018 with an AA-T in Social Justice Studies. Six units in the major (electives) and all lower division GE requirements have been satisfied. Check with a major advisor about the most appropriate course sequence. Degree completion guaranteed in 60 units; see the Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) section for more information.
|AMST 310/HUM 485||The Arts and American Culture||3|
|AMST 410/HUM 450||California Culture||3|
|GE Area A: Written English Communication II (A4)||3|
or University Elective if A4 was met in transfer
||Power and Politics in American Indian History
or History of People of Color in the U.S.
|Major Required – Also Fulfills University GWAR – Take One||3|
|Writing in Ethnic Studies - GWAR|
HIST GWAR course
HUM GWAR course
|U.S. and California Government Course||3|
or University Elective if US/CA Government met in transfer
|Major Required – Select One||3|
|Geography of Ethnic Communities|
|Geography of the United States and Canada|
|Geography of California|
|Major Elective – Take Two||6|
|GE Area UD–B: Upper Division Physical and/or Life Sciences||3|
|Major Elective – Take Two||6|
|University Elective – Take Three||9|
To Do at SF State:
Enough total units to reach 120 minimum for graduation; 40 units minimum at the upper division level; to include the following:
University-Wide Requirements: 3–9 Units
- ENG 214 if not completed prior to transfer (0–3 units)
- American Institutions (0–3 units): US Government/California State and Local Government requirement if not completed prior to transfer. The AMST major includes a required upper division course which also satisfies the US History requirement for graduation – view course descriptions.
- Upper division GE (3 units): Take a course to satisfy UD-B. Courses approved for UD-C and UD-D also satisfy major requirements – view course descriptions.
- Students entering the major with the AA-T in Social Justice Studies are not required to fulfill SF State Studies requirements.
- Complementary Studies: consult with a department advisor on how transfer units and/or SF State units can be applied to ensure degree completion within 60 units.
American Studies Major: 33 Units
Apply up to six units from the ADT to the Elective Courses area.
- Required courses (15 units) – includes GWAR-designated course
- Elective courses (18 units) – Courses, by choice and advisement, on a topic or theme in American Studies, drawn from at least two disciplines.
Consult University Bulletin for a list of appropriate departments.
University Electives: 18 Units or More
Units depending on course choices made at the community college, how transferred units are applied to the requirements above, and course choices at SF State. Some courses may meet more than one requirement, e.g., both in UD GE and the major. Upper division electives recommended in order to meet the minimum 40-unit requirement.