Bachelor of Science in Health Education – PHS Associate Degree for Transfer Roadmap
This is a sample pathway for students who transfer to San Francisco State University in the current Bulletin year with an AS-T in Public Health Science. Thirteen units in the major (BIOL 100/BIOL 101, H ED 290, MATH 124) and all lower division GE requirements have been satisfied. Additional units in the major may have been satisfied. Check with a major advisor about the most appropriate course sequence. Degree completion guaranteed in 60 units; see the Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) section for more information.
& BIOL 211
|General Microbiology and Public Health
and General Microbiology and Public Health Laboratory
|H ED 400GW||Community Assessment in Public Health - GWAR 1||3|
|H ED 405||Introduction to Community/Public Health 1||3|
|H ED 425||Introduction to Research and Statistics in Health||3|
|H ED 655||Environmental Health||3|
|H ED 410||Organization and Function of Health Services||3|
|H ED 420||Epidemiology||3|
|H ED 430||Community Health Education Theory||3|
|H ED 455||Community Organizing and Community Building for Health 2||3|
|U.S. and California Government||3|
or University Elective if US & CA Government met before transfer
|H ED 241
or H ED 305
|Health and Social Movements in the United States in the 20th Century
or Critical History of Public Health in the United States
|H ED 431||Program Planning, Implementation, and Evaluation||3|
|H ED 520||Structural Oppression and Social Foundations of Health||3|
|GE Area UD–B: Upper Division Physical and/or Life Sciences||3|
|H ED 480||Fieldwork and Reflective Seminar||9|
|GE Area UD–D: Upper Division Social Sciences||3|
If ENG 214 or equivalent is not completed prior to transfer, then students must take ENG 214 in the first semester and H ED 400GW and H ED 405 in the second semester. Move one Required (Non-Sequenced course) from the second semester to the first semester. Length of time for degree completion will be prolonged if an ENG 214 equivalent is not completed before transfer.
H ED 455 fulfills GE UD-C.
If H ED 221 equivalent5 not taken before transfer, choose from courses designated for C-B PH emphasis.
Choose H ED or HH course that also satisfies C-B PH Emphasis.
H ED 221 is comparable to C–ID PHS 102.
To Do at SF State:
Enough total units to reach 120 minimum for graduation; 40 units minimum at the upper division level; to include the following:
University-Wide Requirements: 3-15 Units
- ENG 214 or equivalent A4 course (0-3 units) if not completed prior to transfer. Length of time for degree completion will be extended.
- American Institutions (0-6 units): US History, US Government, California State and Local Government requirements if not met pre-transfer.
- Upper division GE (9 units): For UD GE B and D, choose H ED or HH courses that satisfy major requirements for the C-B PH emphasis. UD GE C satisfied by Major Required course. See notes.
- Students entering this major with the AS-T in Public Health are not required to fulfill SF State Studies or Complementary Studies requirements.
Health Education Major: 49 Units
- Prerequisites: four units - BIOL 210 and BIOL 211
- Required: 36 units
- Community-based Public Health Emphasis: nine units. If C-ID equivalent to H ED 221 not taken before transfer, choose an additional three-unit course from the C-B PH list.
- Students interested in either the Holistic Health or School Health Emphasis should consult with a major advisor about course choices; note that degree completion in 60 units may not be possible.
University Electives: Two or More Units
Depends on course choices made at the community college, how transferred units are applied to the requirements above, and course choices at SF State. Some courses may meet more than one requirement, e.g., UD GE and the major.